Recently, many media reported this matter Matías Uribe, a 14-year-old Colombian boy He and his family lived in the United States for several years, and to whom All of his limbs had to be amputated due to a dangerous bacterial infection.
Matías Uribe’s nightmare began on June 30. That day, he started to have a high fever and his whole body turned red. His parents rushed him to the hospital emergency room, where he went into cardiopulmonary arrest. When his heart stopped beating for several minutes, Doctors managed to stabilize his condition and then transferred him via helicopter to a more complex hospital centre.
Mathias has been hospitalized and must undergo ECMO treatment, mechanical ventilation and dialysis. Although they managed to save his life, His limbs had not received adequate blood circulation for a long time, This caused serious damage, so they had to amputate his left leg.
Unfortunately, they also had to amputate his other leg as his condition did not improve, and a week later both of his arms had to be amputated due to lack of blood supply.
After various studies, they found Matthias was infected with group A streptococcus, It first affected his lungs and then his heart, causing him to go into septic shock.
In addition to practicing piano, Mathias also participated in different sporting events. Despite the current situation, the young man remains optimistic, assuring his parents and classmates that he will return to activity with great enthusiasm, as he is a candidate for robotic prosthetics.
Group A Streptococcus, scientifically known as Streptococcus pyogenes, It is one of the most important and well-known bacteria in this group due to its ability to cause a variety of infections in humans. Health experts stress that it is characterized by sore throat, fever, tonsillitis and other symptoms similar to those of a common cold.
Failure to deal with this bacteria can lead to complications such as rheumatic fever, which can affect the heart and other parts of the body in addition to severe invasive infections.
*Texas man dies after contracting bacteria from eating raw oysters
* Strange bacteria kills two people in Connecticut near New York
* Five people have died and 26 have been infected by ‘flesh-eating’ bacteria in Florida so far in 2023