it’s known pear melon or as sweet cucumber (Solanum muricatum), an exotic fruit whose cultivation, though little known, has taken root in Spain, originating in Canary Islands And gradually expanded to the European continent. It has various properties such as protecting us from the risk of heart attack or reducing the chance of colon cancer.
This species is originally from the Peruvian Andes, where it has been cultivated for thousands of years. Despite its good production qualities, its appearance in places like New Zealand and Spain is relatively recent. The variety of origin varieties results in a variety of fruit shapes, sizes and colours.
These variants have been shown to be able to adapt to a variety of climatic conditions and cultivation techniques, helping their incorporation into modern farming methods. Additionally, its relative resistance to pests and diseases simplifies its care.
The taste of sweet cucumber or pear melon will not overwhelm the palate, but is a versatile berry that can be enjoyed as a refreshing fruit or added to salads, depending on the variety and ripeness.
In addition, it is suitable for smoothies, desserts and more delicate dishes, with a subtle sweetness and light aroma similar to melon. Still, its lack of acidity makes it an ideal addition to cold vegetable salads, fruit salads, grilled meat and fish dishes, as well as in sauces and, of course, as a fresh choice for desserts.
Among its qualities, it stands out for its ability to be juicy and refreshing. As a fruit, its taste is pleasant and fresh. The presence of vitamin C is notable, although the amount varies with location, environmental conditions and cultivation methods. It is high in water (90%), low in calories, protein and fiber, and moderate in minerals, including the highest in potassium.
Properties of pear melon or sweet cucumber
- Its antioxidant properties help fight free radicals and relieve constipation and heartburn.
- It contains anti-inflammatory properties that help reduce inflammation in the body.
- Promotes restful sleep and maintains healthy vision, delaying the effects of eye aging.
- In addition to reducing the risk of kidney stones, it also helps lower cholesterol and prevent cardiovascular disease.
- Reduce the chance of colon cancer.
- Regulates blood sugar levels and blood pressure, improves bowel function and strengthens the immune system.
- Relieves bronchitis, cold and flu symptoms and relieves respiratory ailments.