According to local statistics, more than 25% of Peruvians suffer from stomach problems, such as gastritis, heartburn and reflux.It is worth mentioning that 80% of these diseases are caused by bacteria Helicobacter pylorican be spread by drinking unboiled water or eating contaminated food.
“The main symptoms are usually accompanied by severe pain in the upper abdomen, a burning sensation in the chest, persistent nausea and vomiting, a feeling of heaviness when eating, belching and gas,” said Dr. Carlos Reyes Medina, medical director of Cano Laboratories.
Check out: Tips for coping with the stress of raising a firstborn
These discomforts are often persistent and, if not treated by a specialist, can reduce a patient’s quality of life, sleep, and productivity. Therefore, the prevalence of these acid-related diseases increases the risk of ulcers and stomach cancer.
In that sense, Dr. Reyes Medina shares some tips for protecting your stomach lining and preventing gastritis, heartburn, and reflux:
- Maintain a balanced diet, sufficient time and quantity.
- Reduce consumption of alcoholic beverages and tobacco.
- Avoid foods that are fatty, overly seasoned, or difficult to digest, such as peppers, as they tend to irritate the stomach’s protective lining.
- Maintain adequate physical activity habits to maintain an adequate weight and avoid being overweight.
- If symptoms persist, see a specialist. A timely diagnosis is your best ally in staying healthy.