- Immunization campaigns have previously started as usual in residential areas and will open to other residents on November 6, who can apply for appointments from October 30
- For the first time, influenza vaccination is systematically offered to children aged 6 months to 5 years (approximately 73,000 boys and girls).
- Health Minister Gotzone Sagardui stressed that the goal is to safeguard the health of the most vulnerable and protect collective health
- The Basque Country has 864,720 doses of influenza vaccines and 400,000 doses of COVID-19 vaccines, both of which have updated ingredients to ensure better protection against different strains and variants
Gotzone Sagardui, Minister of Health of the Basque Government, today presented the 2023 vaccination campaign against influenza and COVID-19, the main innovations of which include this year’s systematic influenza vaccination of children from 6 months to 5 years old, which means approximately 73,000 boys and girls. In addition, the age of the high-risk group was reduced from 65 to 60 years, thus increasing to 700,000 people.
As the Minister himself explained, the immunization campaign started as usual in nursing homes in the last week of September. From now on, high-risk groups can make an appointmentthrough the Osakidetza website or by calling your health centre, Vaccinations start next Monday 9 October. The rest of the group wishing to be vaccinated can apply for an appointment from 30 October and be vaccinated from 6 November.
In the motto “Prevention is better than cure, get vaccinated”, the event, the Director of Public Health also participated in the speech of the event, Itziar Larizgoitia and flu campaign coordinator Enrique Peiró, Its main goal is to protect the individual health of the most vulnerable while protecting collective health over the course of a year.Gozoni Sagaduy himself stressed that regardless of the epidemiological situation at any given time, it is necessary Provide maximum protection to citizens, especially the most vulnerable. Therefore, he recalled that Baskardi has been carrying out influenza vaccination campaigns for 35 years and, since 2021, vaccination campaigns against the coronavirus.
Another message affecting the Basque Health Minister is that, today, Vaccines remain the most effective prevention against influenza and COVID-19. Of course, remember that two simple but effective preventive measures are frequent hand washing and the use of a mask, the latter, especially for those experiencing respiratory symptoms.
Who make up the risk group?
- Over 60 years old
- People with chronic illnesses or who are immunocompromised
- pregnant woman.
- Professionals in the field of health and social care
When and where will OSAKIDETZA be vaccinated?
On September 25, vaccinations for people living in the area began Residential.As for rest of the populationwill mainly develop vaccination At Osakidetza Health Centerin addition to home visits, consultations, hospitals…:
-this October 9 for risk grouppriority is given to the oldest people, those over 80 years old, who will receive a personal call from the Osakidetza or BetiOn service and, if they need it, will be vaccinated in their own home.
-Estimated November 6 Vaccination begins at rest of the population Who wants it.
-Organize vaccination at the same time Health and Social Care Group.
-Osakidetza works closely with Osalan for the third consecutive year to deliver Companies and Institutionsand vaccinating employees through its preventive services.
How to request an appointment?
First, priority will be given to high-risk groups. therefore:
- If you are in a high-risk group: reserve starting today From October 9, get vaccinated through the Osakidetza website or by calling your health center.
- If you are not in a risk group: wait until October 30you can request a vaccination appointment starting November 6 through the website or by calling your health center.
Vaccine availability and characteristics
in this case influenza, quantity The current number of influenza vaccines is 720,600 doses, which can be expanded by 20% to 864,720 dosesan updated composition based on epidemiological information collected in previous months around the world, includes 4 influenza viruses: 2 type A and 2 type B.
All vaccines are Four pricesTherefore, unlike trivalent influenza viruses, they can also provide protection against the second lineage of influenza B in addition to the 3 most common influenza strains, which will help reduce influenza cases and associated hospitalizations and deaths Rate. specific:
-Inactivated split virus quadrivalent influenza vaccine (Fluarix Tetra®): 700,000 doses, suitable for people 6 months of age and older.
– Quadrivalent influenza vaccine with graded inactivated virus with high antigenic load (Efluelda®): 19,500 doses for those 65 years of age or older.
-Quadrivalent cell culture influenza vaccine (Flucelvax®): 1,100 doses, suitable for people 2 years and older with allergies.
Strengthen vaccine targeting Coronavirus disease Also constitutes Updated to include newly identified omicron subtype variants. As for the existing COVID-19 vaccines, those for residents have already been distributed, with around 400,000 doses confirmed to have been received in October alone, and this number will increase in the coming weeks as new deliveries are made.
Questions and FAQs
The Ministry of Health and Osakidza have prepared some frequently asked questions to strictly respond to public concerns. They can be used for: