The coach of the Argentine National Team, Lionel scaloni, was nominated by FIFA for the awards “The Best” in the shortlist for the best coach in the world in 2021, after a year in which he won the Copa América in Brazil and qualified for the World Cup in Qatar in 2022, four dates before the end of the Qualifiers.
Read also: The state of health of Lionel Scaloni’s parents: “They are both hospitalized, but I don’t want to talk”
FIFA gave a list of seven candidates, which also includes Diego “Cholo” Simeone, champion of the Spanish League with Atlético Madrid.
The Best FIFA Awards: the other candidates for the best coach of the year
In addition to Scaloni, Italians are also nominated Antonio Conte (Serie A champion with Inter) and Roberto Mancini (won the European Championship with Italy); the Spanish Pep Guardiola (Champions League finalist and Premier League champion with Manchester City); and the Germans Hansi Flick (champion of the Club World Cup with Bayern Munich and current coach of the German National Team) and the French Thomas Tuchel (champion of the Champions League with Chelsea).
The announcement of the winner will be made on January 17.
The Scaloni thing is a novelty because it had never before been proposed on a list to get an award in this category. In addition, that of the Argentine National Team is his first experience leading a team.
FIFA The Best Awards: Messi nominated for best player
For his part, the Rosario idol Lionel Messi will seek to be once again decorated by FIFA as the best player in the world. Although he did not have a great season with Barcelona, he was decisive in the consecration of the Argentine National Team in the Copa América in Brazil. In addition, he managed to head -as captain- the albiceleste classification to the Qatar 2022 World Cup.
Others nominated by FIFA for the award for the best player of the year
Messi will compete in this category with:
- Karim Benzema (France / Real Madrid)
- Kylian Mbappé (France / PSG)
- Ngolo Kanté (France / Chelsea)
- Kevin de Bruyne (Belgium / Manchester City)
- Cristiano Ronaldo (Portugal / Juventus / Manchester United)
- Erling Haaland (Norway / Borussia Dortmund)
- Jorginho (Italy / Chelsea),
- Robert Lewandowski (Poland / Bayern Munich)
- Neymar (Brazil / PSG)
- Mohamed Salah (Egypt / Liverpool)
Candidates for the FIFA The Best Award for the best player of 2021
- Stina Blackstenius (Sweden / BK Häcken)
- Aitana Bonmati (Spain / FC Barcelona)
- Lucy Bronze (England / Manchester City WFC)
- Magdalena Eriksson (Sweden / Chelsea FC Women)
- Caroline Graham-Hansen (Norway / FC Barcelona)
- Pernille Harder (Denmark / Chelsea FC Women)
- Jennifer Hermoso (Spain / FC Barcelona)
- Ji So-yun (Korea Republic / Chelsea FC Women)
- Sam Kerr (Australia / Chelsea FC Women)
- Vivianne Miedema (Netherlands / Arsenal WFC)
- Ellen White (England / Manchester City WFC)
- Alexia Putellas (Spain / FC Barcelona)
- Christine Sinclair (Canada / Portland Thorns FC).
Candidates for the FIFA The Best Award for the best women’s football coach of 2021
- Lluís Cortés (Spain / FC Barcelona)
- Peter Gerhardsson (Sweden / Sweden national team)
- Emma Hayes (England / Chelsea FC Women)
- Beverly Priestman (England / Canada national team)
- Sarina Wiegman (Netherlands / Netherlands team / England team)