16.6 C
New York
Tuesday, September 21, 2021

Buy now

Meghan Markle wins first battle against British tabloids | People




Meghan Markle has just won a major court victory in the UK. The Duchess of Sussex has won the battle against Associated Newspaper, publisher of The Daily Mail, following the lawsuit that Markle filed for the publication in the newspaper of extracts of a letter that he sent to his father. This is reported by the Reuters news agency. Markle has issued a statement tonight in which he celebrates the “comprehensive victory” that this sentence represents against the “illegal and dehumanizing practices” of the condemned company. “The damage they have done and continue to do is profound,” stresses the Duchess of Sussex.

The British High Court of Justice, based in London, has decided in favor of the wife of Prince Henry of England, 39 years old. The judge in charge of the case, Mark Warby, has affirmed that the publication of these articles violated the privacy of the Duchess. However, Warby has explained that the issues regarding the rights of reproduction of that letter will still have to be clarified.

The case dates back to the end of February 2019, when the Duchess threatened to sue the newspaper – something she eventually did – for publishing a personal letter a couple of weeks earlier that she had sent to her father, Thomas Markle, in August. of 2018, after her wedding with the grandson of Elizabeth II on May 19 of that year. “Dad, I am writing this to you very much to my regret, without understanding why you have chosen to take this path, turning a blind eye to the pain you are causing,” the duchess tore off the five-page handwritten letter from which it was made echo The Mail on Sunday on February 10, 2019. “Your actions have broken my heart into a million pieces, not only because you have caused unnecessary and unwarranted pain, but because you have chosen not to tell the truth when you are just a puppet. Something that I will never understand ”.

“If you love me, as you tell the press, please stop. Please allow us to live our lives in peace. Stop lying, stop creating so much pain, stop exploiting my relationship with my husband. paparazzi and subsequently suffer a heart attack. “If you take a moment to pause, I think you will see that living with a clear conscience is more valuable than any payment in the world,” she insisted.




As the British newspaper has argued, they published the letter to respond to the comments that five anonymous friends of the Duchess had made in the magazine People to defend it, just a few days before. In that publication, the friends talked about the estrangement with their father and brothers. “They have made it seem as if they were close relatives who have now had differences, but it is not true at all,” said the duchess’s brothers, Samantha and Thomas Markle Jr. Of their father they said: “He knows how to get in touch with she. He has never called her, he has never written to her. It is tremendously painful ”.

The Duchess’s lawyers have affirmed in the two days in which the hearings have taken place that bringing to light a “personal and sensitive” letter has meant “a triple assault” on Markle: “On her privacy, on her family life and his correspondence, ”according to Reuters.

Instead, the newspaper argues that the duchess always knew that this letter was going to be made public and that it was all part of a media strategy, and that she had in fact spoken with her communications secretary about the matter. The Duchess’s father, Thomas Markle, has also defended the newspaper, stating: “Only by publishing the letter could I show that what the magazine People published was false and unfair ”, he assured in a letter supporting the newspaper. Last August, Markle won a lawsuit whereby those five friends were able to remain anonymous.

In her statement after the sentence, Meghan Markle underlines that media companies like the condemned face this type of information “like a game”, and adds: “For me and for many others it is real life (…) Now we hope that [esta sentencia] create a legal precedent, so that no one can appropriate anyone’s privacy and exploit it, as the defendant has blatantly done. “

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have been fighting the British tabloids for months. Already in April 2020 they cut relations with some with a harsh letter. “It is gravely worrying that a significant part of the media has for years avoided taking responsibility for what they say or print, even when they know that it is distorted, false or invasive beyond reason,” the couple said in the letter. . “When power is enjoyed without responsibility, the trust we all place in this much-needed industry is degraded.” And they added: “The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have seen the broken lives of acquaintances and strangers alike for no good reason, other than the fact that gossip increases advertising revenue.” At least six complaints have been filed against the media in recent months.




HELEN HERNANDEZ
Helen Hernandez is our best writer. Helen writes about social news and celebrity gossip. She loves watching movies since childhood. Email: [email protected] Phone : +1 281-333-2229

Related Articles

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Stay Connected

0FansLike
2,950FollowersFollow
0SubscribersSubscribe

Latest Articles