Mikaela Mayer, challenging the title of junior lightweight, tested positive for COVID-19 and will not be able to fight in the first undercard of boxing importance in Las Vegas since the start of the pandemic coronavirus.
Mayer announced the positive outcome of your test in the social networks on Sunday, two days before the match against Helen Joseph in the listings organized by Top Rank at the MGM Grand Garden Arena Tuesday night.
Mayer (12-0, 5 knockouts) competed for the united States in the Olympic Games and is one of the figures on the rise at the division of 130 pounds. Mayer is asymptomatic, but tested positive for the virus on Saturday, said.
“The rest of my team gave negative and all are in good health,” said Mayer. “I really wanted to go back to fight for you, and I’m disappointed for me, my team, my fans and for my opponent.”
Mayer was going to face Joseph in a bout of 10 rounds inside their efforts to receive the opportunity to fight for the world title later in the year.
This is the second cancellation in three months for Mayer, who does not fight since October. And without being your fault. I was going to be measured against puerto rican Melissa Hernandez in New York as part of a billboard starring Michael Conlan in march until the pandemic forced the cancellation.
The Commission on Athletic of Nevada ordered a strict sanitary protocol to permit the return of the sports of fighting last month. The UFC met the testing requirements and other hygienic measures during their two roles in the fitness center of their corporate campus. Top Rank has done so for a couple of evenings next week.
The billboard of the sabbath has as combat star the duel between the american Shakur Stevenson, invincible champion of the featherweight of the OMB, and the puerto rican Felix Caraballo.