From March 10 available on Netflix Luther: To hell, the first feature-length cinema based on the popular British crime TV series “Luther” by BBC Television. Detective John Luther breaks out of prison to hunt down a sadistic serial killer terrorizing London.
Luther To Hell – Plot and cast
The official plot: In “Luther: Into Hell,” an epic continuation of the award-winning television saga reimagined for cinema, a vicious serial killer terrorizes London while brilliant disgraced detective John Luther (Idris Elba) finds himself behind bars. Tormented for failing to capture the nefarious cyber-psycho who now haunts him, Luther decides to break out of prison to get the job done by any means necessary. The film also stars Cynthia Erivo, Andy Serkis, Thomas Coombes, Hattie Morahan, Lauryn Ajufoe, Vincent Regan, Ross Walton and Dermot Crowley who returns as Martin Schenk,
Luther To Hell – Trailer and Video
Trivia about the movie
- The original title of the film is Luther: The Fallen Sun.
- The film is a spinoff of the TV series “Luther” directed by Jamie Payne, a television director with active Luther episodes, The White Princess, New Amsterdam, Quantum, The alienist And Queen of the South.
- The screenplay is written by Neil Cross who in addition to the screenplay of the horror film The mother with Jessica Chastain also wrote episodes of Spooks, Doctor Who And Crossbones.
- The concept of a film adaptation of the series was first broached in August 2013, when series creator Neil Cross revealed that he had written a script for a prequel. In July 2020, Idris Elba said there were “no formal plans” for another season of the series, but he has expressed a desire to return to the role in a film, and that this was going to happen. The film was confirmed in September 2021 for a release on Netflix.
- Filming took place in London and at Lite Studios in Brussels, Belgium.
- “Luther: Into Hell” is produced by Peter Chernin, Jenno Topping, David Ready, Neil Cross, Idris Elba.
- The original music of “Luther: Hell Road” is by the Scottish composer Lorne Balfe (The Lady Hunter, Terminator Genisys, 12 Soldiers, Black Adam, Mission: Impossible – Dead Reckoning – Part One, Dungeons & Dragons – The some thieves).
Luther – The TV series
- “Luther” is a British psychological thriller television series starring Idris Elba as John Luther and Ruth Wilson as Alice Morgan, written by Neil Cross. Detective Luther has to file a lawsuit against the criminals while the assassin Morgan has a complicated relationship with him. The series consisting of five seasons for a total of 20 episodes aired from 2010 to 2019. Elba received a Critics’ Choice Television Award, a Golden Globe and a Screen Actors Guild Award for his portrayal of John Luther. The series also received eleven Primetime Emmy Award nominations in various categories, including four nominations by Elba for Outstanding Lead Actor in a Limited Series or a Movie.
- Neil Cross, creator of the series, said that for the protagonist John Luther was inspired by both Sherlock Holmes and Lieutenant Columbo: the nature of Luther’s intellect and its application to solving crimes is comparable to that of Holmes, while the use of the “detective in reverse” format (in which the identity of the murderer is revealed right from the start, while the plot focuses on the capture of the criminal) refers to the episodes of Colombo.
- Of his character, Idris Elba said: “You know when you watch the news and you see that someone has killed his children? and your instinct is “if you had it under your hands!”, this is what happens to Luther but he is a policeman, a man of the law and, when he has these men in his hands, he doesn’t always follow procedure. He becomes as vengeful as a criminal.’
- The opening theme is Paradise Circus by Massive Attack, taken from the 2010 album Heligoland.
Luther To Hell – The Soundtrack
- The film’s original music is by the Scottish composer Lorne Balfe (Mission: Impossible – Fallout, Black Widow, Top Gun: Maverick, Black Adam, His Dark Materials – These dark materials).
- This feature film will benefit from a special version of the opening theme song of the TV series which featured the song “Paradise Circus” by Massive Attack feat. Hope Sandoval from the album Helgoland (2010).
- The original “Luther” TV series featured music by the composer, conductor and pianist Paul Englishby known for Emmy Award winning jazz soundtrack for TV movie Page Eight by David Hare and the orchestral score for the film An Education nominated for an Oscar. Englishby’s music for the TV series ‘Luther’ was nominated for a BAFTA.
1. Paradise Circus (Fallen Sun Version) (POST feat. Ghostpoet) (5:20)
2. Luther’s Theme (2:29)
3. The Rising Sun (3:15)
4. SAT (1:25)
5. Meet Me in 15 (1:20)
6. Taken (3:13)
7. Prison Kicking (3:11)
8. Twisted Flames (3:42)
9. On the Radio (1:32)
10. The Phone Call (2:37)
11. Watching Her (1:29)
12. Let Them Come (1:45)
13. Jailhouse Knock (4:24)
14. Luther Over London (1:48)
15. Transmitter Tracking (2:05)
16. Red Lights (2:39)
17. Eye for an Eye (2:21)
18. Victim Farm (1:44)
19. En Route (1:40)
20. Piccadilly Circus (6.45am)
21. Tunnels (3:13)
22. Robey’s Past (2:04)
23. Calling the Enemy (2:37)
24. Crossing (2:04)
25. Approaching the House (2:57)
26. Go Inside (2:34)
27. Are We Alive? (6:36)
28. It’s Him Or Her (2:49)
29. Everybody’s Wet (6:24)
30. Closure (3:55)
31. Telling Lies (3:59)
The “Luther: Into Hell” soundtrack is available on Amazon.
Luther To Hell – Photos and Posters