The acclaimed director and screenwriter Rian Johnson it is already on sale one of the movies that most gave that talk in 2019, Daggers in the backa “whodunit” delightfully entertaining and full of suspense, humor, and talent pouring of a cast of coral full of stars.
Nominated for an Oscar for Best original screenplay and three Golden Globes -including Best film – musical or comedy-, Daggers in the back we are invited to solve a murder mystery from our home with its release on physical format, and thanks to Sony Pictures Home Entertainment I offer analysis and a photo essay of the edition on Blu-ray.
Daggers in the back presented at the prestigious mystery novelist Harlan Thrombey (Christopher Plummer), who is found dead in his mansion after celebrating his 85 birthday. The incisive and elegant detective Benoit BlancDaniel Craig), which mysteriously has been recruited to resolve the matter, begins an investigation of his family and to his devoted service to domestic service. Blanc goes into a network of false trails and lies and stakeholders to discover the truth about the death of Harlan.
The film, written, directed and produced by Rian Johnson (Looper, Star Wars: The last jedi), features a star-studded cast that includes the nominee to the Golden Globe Daniel Craig (franchise James Bond), Chris Evans (The Avengers), the nominated for the Golden Globe Ana de Armas (Blade Runner 2049), the nominated for the Golden Globe Jamie Lee Curtis (The night of Halloween), Toni Collette (Little Miss Sunshine), Don Johnson (Corruption in Miami), the Oscar-nominated Michael Shannon (The shape of the water), Lakeith Stanfield (Sorry to Bother You), the nominated for the Golden Globe Katherine Langford (Thirteen reasons), Noah Segan (Looper) and the winner of the Oscar Christopher Plummer (Beginners).
The edition Blu-ray Daggers in the back is presented in the classic case amaray blue, with the official poster on the cover, while the back cover presents a selection of images from the film along with the technical data, art and synopsis. In the interior of the case we find the Blu-ray disc with the English title on the cover image.
Image and sound:
The Blu-ray presents the film with an aspect ratio of 1.85:1, that is to say, filling the full tv screen. It is a film shot digitally that obviously has been adjusted to look more like a film shot in classic form, and has very good level of detail throughout the film, especially in the fabrics of the costumes and the details of the interior of the mansion Thrombey.
Level sound, the Blu-ray includes the track in the original version in English Dolby Atmos, in addition to the track in Spanish in DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1. Obviously highlights the English track, by be of superior quality to the track in Spanish, although the channels Atmos are used sporadically, especially for some environmental effects, but even so the moments in which it is used stand out very much. On the track, in Spanish, the experience is immersive, especially in the outdoor scenes, with dialogues, prioritized and clear, and a soundtrack that is presented in a precise manner.
Technical features Blu-ray:
- Audio: English Dolby Atmos; Spanish DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1; Audiocomentario English Dolby Digital 2.0.
- Subtitles: English for the hearing impaired, and Spanish.
- Audio additional content: English Dolby Digital 2.0.
- Subtitles additional content: Spanish.
- Film in high-definition widescreen (1.85:1).
- Duration: 130 minutes.
The edition Blu-ray includes the same extras as the DVD edition, and some exclusive to this format:
- Audiocomentario with the director and screenwriter Rian Johnsonthe director of photography Steve Yeldin and the actor Noah Segan.
- Comments Rian Johnson for the film industry.
- Deleted scenes (0:04:53). Two deleted scenes with the option to see it with director’s comments:
- Bicycle accident.
- Do not do anything rash.
- Committing a murder (1:53:55). Complete Making of”, of almost two hours duration, well divided into sections so that we can know perfectly all the details of the film, from its inspiration, the selection of actors, costumes, photography, and much more:
- Intent: Inspiration and origin.
- Gathering the suspects: The cast.
- Dressed to kill: costume Design.
- The scene of the crime: the Production and design.
- Visual clues: Cinematography.
- Bringing together the tracks: Edition.
- Music and death: Music and sound.
- Outcome: Who has been?
- Rian Johnson: preparing the perfect assassination (0:06:15). Presents us with the writer and director talking about how he was able to structure the script.
- Questions and answers with the director and cast (0:42:07). On the 14th of November, 2019, an event was held which presented the film and a group of lucky ones were able to chat with the director and the cast. This long extra lets us see the event.
- Ode to the mystery of the murder (0:01:41). A funny fake trailer.
- You know the ads Thrombey. Picturesque extra that allow us to see three ads of the business of some of the members of the family:
- Real Estate Thrombey (0:00:32).
- Editorial Blood as wine (0:00:54).
- Flam (0:00:32).