2021 has been a great year for horror movies. Big titles challenged the genre and put it at the top of the box office and critics, proving that it is in a permanent reinvention. From different latitudes of the world, directed by women and men, the past year saw the premiere of interesting films, so Reddit has ranked the top 25 horror films of the last 12 months.
The truth is that the genre has been eternally bastardized by specialized critics and revered by fan communities, but in recent years the advent of Art House Horror has made it more approachable to diverse audiences and is valued by critics.
Among the most prominent titles are Malignant -the bet of James wan to the slasher with dyes of diverse subgenres-; Lamb; Titane Y Last Night in Soho, which were one of the most talked about films during the year although they do not necessarily fit under the classic characteristics of the genre.
Among those chosen by the publication is also the trilogy launched by Netflix titled Fear street, which is presented as a tribute to horror classics. As expected, it has its place on the list A Quiet Place Part II, one of the highest grossing films of the year and which starred in theaters after the pandemic.
As a collection of the classics is the sequel to Candyman and also Halloween Kills -part of the famous series of films-, both releases that confirm the survival of the long sagas within genre cinema. In addition, this list of 25 films highlights more cult titles like Saint maud Y The Night House, that every horror movie lover should not lose sight of.
Next the complete list:
- one. Malignant (James Wan)
- two. Saint maud (Rose Glass)
- 3. The Night House (David Bruckner)
- Four. Last Night in Soho (Edgar Wright)
- 5. Candyman (Nia DaCosta)
- 6. Psycho Goreman (Steven Kostanski)
- 7. Fear Street: 1994 (Leigh Janiak)
- 8. Fear Street Part Two: 1978 (Leigh Janiak)
- 9. V / H / S / 94 (Simon Barrett, Timo Tjahjanto, Steven Kostanski, Jennifer Reeder, Chloe Okuno, Ryan Prows)
- 10. Titane (Julia Ducournau)
- eleven. Fear Street Part Three: 1666 (Leigh Janiak)
- 12. A Quiet Place Part II (John Krasinski)
- 13. Halloween Kills (David Gordon Green)
- 14. Censor (Prano Bailey-Bond)
- fifteen. Willy’s wonderland (Kevin Lewis)
- 16. Antlers (Scott Cooper)
- 17. The green knight (David Lowery)
- 18. Caveat (Damian McCarthy)
- 19. Werewolves Within (John Ruben)
- twenty. The Medium (Banjong Pisanthanakun)
- twenty-one. Lamb (Valdimar Jóhannsson)
- 22. The Advent Calendar (Patrick Ridremont)
- 23. Spiral: From the Book of Saw (Darren Lynn Bousman)
- 24. Wrong Turn (Mike P. Nelson)
- 25. Vicious fun (Cody Calahan)