The adoption of these digital assets is on the rise. For this reason, the presence of terminals to operate with BTC increased in the region
The cryptocurrencies are booming all over the world and Latin America is not the exception and, for this reason, the presence of ATMs to operate with these digital assets is on the rise in the main cities of the region.
On The Savior, country that adopted BTC as legal tender last week, there are four of these terminals to facilitate the purchase and sale of this crypto.
And although this country was located in the center of the world of news related to cryptocurrencies, it is not the one with the most ATMs of this type operating in its territory. The top of the ranking is for the city of Bogota, Colombia, which owns 24 of these terminals.
The boom is also moving globally, since the total number of ATMs installed quadrupled compared to January 2020, as reported by the ATM Rider firm.
According to the report, in total, there are currently 27,823 Bitcoin ATMs, a figure that doubles the 13,996 registered the first day of this year.
Likewise, if the study is shelled, there was an increase in terminals of 183% in the last 12 months. In 2020, meanwhile, these grew 119% compared to 2019 in ATMs installed on a global scale.
The number of cryptocurrency ATMs quadrupled in the past 18 months
The United States is the country with the largest number of ATMs registered with 24,428 of the 27,823 existing. Second place belongs to Canada with 1,921 ATMs of Bitcoin.
At the regional level, only 12 countries have crypto ATMs installed in their territory. El Salvador, by approving Bitcoin as legal tender, gave a boost to the installation of ATMs in that country and could soon become the leading Latin American country in this regard. Colombia is at the top, followed by Brazil (21), Panama (17) and Dominican Republic (15).
Argentina and Mexico have 12 and 11 ATMs respectively and they complete 97% of the devices in the region. The rest of the countries accumulate 3% of the Bitcoin ATMs in Latin America:
- Chile (3)
- Peru (3)
- Costa Rica (2)
- Venezuela (1)
- Ecuador (1)
Meanwhile in Uruguay, Paraguay, Honduras, Bolivia and Guatemala there are no terminal records.
The crypto ATM network in the country
The first of the crypto ATMs in Argentina was installed inside the Walmart supermarket located in Villa Pueyrredón.
Quickly, the network expanded and they can not only be found in supermarkets but also in other types of stores, such as shopping malls and gastronomic venues.
In this sense, Athena continues with its commitment to add more cryptocurrency terminals in the country. “At the beginning of last year there was already the idea of doubling the number of ATMs in Argentina. We had everything ready, but the pandemic caught us all, the United States too, so the machines were relocated there. But now we are re-evaluating the entire operation to see how to incorporate the largest number of ATMs “, he says Efrain Barraza, Athena’s country operation manager in Argentina.
Athena is the company in charge of crypto ATMs in Argentina
What operations are available
From Athena they specified that it is currently possible to buy and sell cryptocurrencies, operate in pesos or dollars. The price of each share varies according to the chosen currency.
At the moment, these ATMs sell four currencies: Ethereum (ETH), Bitcoin (BTC), Bitcoin Cash (BCH) and Litecoin (LTC).
In the case of selling cryptocurrencies and then withdrawing physical dollars from these terminals, an important fact to keep in mind is that You can only withdraw up to $ 200 per month.
Athena ATMs trade four currencies: Ethereum (ETH), Bitcoin (BTC), Bitcoin Cash (BCH), and Litecoin (LTC).
These are the locations of the Athena cryptocurrency ATMs:
Buenos aires city
- Premiere Tecnología at Galería Jardín – Florida 537, Floor 1 Local 503
- Super Focus – Rodríguez Peña 1516
- Shipping Bakano – Serrano 725
- Walmart – Av. Constituyentes 6020
Buenos Aires province
- Weiaut Space – Diagonal 74 1681, La Plata
- Walmart Alto Avellaneda – Gral. Güemes 861
- Walmart San Fernando – Camino Bancalari 3000
- Sagasti Style – Córdoba 1358 1st floor local 2, Rosario
- Post! Birra Artesanal & Street Food – Belgrano 731
- Walmart Guaymallén – Moldes 1023 and Acceso Sur