US Secretary of State Antony Blinken said Thursday that The United States was prepared “to sit down without preconditions” at the table towards denuclearization before the missile launch by North Korea and said that, with these actions, the country “tries to attract attention”.
“We are not only sanctioning the North Koreans. We are deeply engaged both at the UN and with key partners, such as South Korea and Japan, in a response. I think part of it is that North Korea is trying to get attention. That has been done in the past and it will probably continue to be done,” he said.
Blinken highlighted in an interview with the American chain MSNBC that The response by the North Korean country to a possible negotiation has been “the renewal of missile tests”, something that he described as “destabilizing” and “dangerous”, since “it contravenes a large number of resolutions of the UN Security Council”.
RESPONSE OF KOREA
Given these words and the recent sanctions imposed by the United States, a spokesman for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the North Korean country declared this Friday that “the current US Administration speaks of diplomacy and dialogue, but that, in reality, it resorts to the policy of isolating and suffocate North Korea.
“The United States slandered our relevant just action in the UN Security Council and went so far as to invite independent sanctions, intentionally aggravating the situation. It is a provocation and a mafia logic that the United States questions the exercise of our legitimate right to self-defense,” he said, according to the news agency KNCA.
North Korea defended “the increase of the national defense capacity”, arguing that “it is a legitimate right of a sovereign state”, for which the United States “is making another provocation” against the “right to self-defense”.
“Our recent development of a new type weapon is to modernize the national defense capability, not to target a specific country or force, or harm the security of neighboring countries,” he said.
On the other hand, the United States Special Representative for North Korea, Sung Kim, made calls during this week with the director general for the Office of Asia and Oceania Affairs of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan, Funakoshi Takehiro, and the representative Korea’s special officer for Peace and Security Affairs on the Korean Peninsula, Noh Kyu Duk.
In these telephone negotiations, Kim condemned the launches of the ballistic missiles on January 4 and 10 for violating “multiple UN Security Council resolutions” and called on North Korea “to refrain from such destabilizing activities and engage in dialogue with the United States.”
“The special representative underscored the continued openness of the United States to dialogue and diplomacy with North Korea. He also reiterated Washington’s iron commitment to its allies, the Republic of Korea and Japan. The calls on January 11 were the latest in a series of calls made between the three since January 5,” US State Department spokesman Ned Price said.
In addition, this same Thursday, more talks would have been held in parallel between the South Korean Deputy Defense Minister, Kim Man Ki, the Undersecretary of Defense for Indo-Pacific Security Affairs of the United States, Ely Ratner, and the Japanese Defense Minister. Kazuo Masuda.
In them, South Korea and the United States reportedly agreed to speed up an in-depth analysis and preparations for measures in response to missile launches, according to the South Korean news agency Yonhap.
The United States announced on Wednesday sanctions against five North Korean citizens linked to North Korea’s weapons program, after the Kim Jong Un regime carried out at least two ballistic missile tests: on January 5 and 10, both towards the waters of the Sea of Japan, known in Korea as the East Sea.
(With information from Europe Press)