The sodium contained in salt is essential for the proper functioning of the muscles and nervous system and the transport of nutrients in the body. Too much salt intake It has become a public health problem in Spain, according to the World Health Organization (WHO), which recommends no more than 5 grams per day. generally, Spaniards have twice that amountwhich poses significant health risks, including hypertension,Liver disease, kidney failure and osteoporosis. Additionally, excess salt can have a negative impact on aesthetics, causing fluid retention, facial swelling, and cellulite.
reduce Salt intake is not as simple as it seems.People often don’t know how much salt they consume because salt is found in surprising foods, such as Cookies and breakfast cereals. so, It’s important to read nutrition labelss. Additionally, drastically reducing salt can make foods taste bland, making it difficult to transition to a low-sodium diet.
Here are some tips for seasoning food without using salt and making the transition easier:
- Use herbs and spices: Use freshly ground spices and fresh herbs to enhance the flavor of your dishes. Try different combinations.
- Take Advantage of Olive Oil: Extra virgin olive oil adds flavor to cold dishes such as salads and toast. You can flavor it with herbs, spices, or citrus for a unique taste.
- Choose the right cooking method: Grilling or baking food activates the Maillard reaction, which enhances flavor. Steaming is ideal for preserving the flavor of vegetables.
- Turn to citrus fruits: Both zest and citrus juices are great for enhancing the flavor of desserts, white meats and fish.
- Note on the sauce: Cut the ingredients into small pieces and fry slowly to concentrate the flavor.
- Pickle, macerate or pickle: Use marinades or marinades containing spices, herbs, citrus fruits, or vinegar to season meat and fish.
- To cook the day before: Stews and sauces are better when cooked ahead of time, reducing the need for salt at the end.
- Try brewer’s yeast: This ingredient is a flavor enhancer that can be used in a variety of preparations and even as a cheese substitute.
- Add a splash of wine or alcoholic beverage: Although the alcohol evaporates during cooking, it leaves a flavor that allows you to use less salt without sacrificing flavor.
- Mix a few ingredients: Combine different foods to enrich the flavor of your dish.
- Choose your homemade broth: Preparing homemade broth allows you to control the amount of salt added to your meals and improves the flavor of your stews and sauces.
Reducing salt consumption is essential for maintaining good health Eat healthily and prevent long-term health problems. These tips can help people enjoy delicious food without damaging their health.