The residence that belonged to Adolphus W. Green, Nabisco co-founder, once had a library in the shape of Uneeda, another of his recognized and exquisite cookies
The Oreo cookie, considered the most famous in the world, was invented in 1912 by Adolphus W. Green, the co-founder of the National Biscuit Company (Nabisco), who at that time had a rest house in the town of Greenwich, Connecticut.
The property, which passed into his hands in 1905, would have been the site where Adolphus drew inspiration and developed what is, without a doubt, his most successful cookie, although this information is not 100% confirmed.
“Some believe that the house is where Green developed the legendary chocolate and cream sandwich cookie, according to the New England Land Company real estate website, although the broker himself is a bit skeptical of these sweet legends,” New York Post reported…
The famous homemade news again a few days ago, when it was announced that it was put up for sale for $ 15.9 million.
According to the datasheet, the residence, built-in 1886, has an area of 9,980 square feet and is located on a one-acre lot.
Inside it has six bedrooms, 7.5 bathrooms, hall, kitchen, dining room, dining room, living room, main room, television room, terrace, office, among other rooms.
Outside it has extensive green areas, a swimming pool with its respective spa area, and a pool house.
The mansion sits at the highest point in Belle Haven, providing future owners with enviable views of the Long Island Sound and New York City.
At the time when Adolphus resided in the place, the Victorian-style house had a library in the Uneeda shape, considered the first Nabisco cookie, but this room no longer exists, as its later owners considered that its design was not according to his architectural style.
Another drastic change that it has undergone was in the extension of its land since it originally covered an area of three acres and today it is only one acre, the remaining two were sold.
The kitchen was also expanded and modernized, in addition, a basement and a garage were added, while the location of the house is no longer the same, having been moved about five feet to the south and one to the east.
Despite its age, among the improvements that have been made is the reinforcement of its structure, so that its future owners will be able to have peace of mind that they will acquire a safe house with a lot of background history.