Read in Spanish
Grupo Frontera has topped the music charts in Mexico and the United States, spread its music across borders and, with 15 nominations under its belt, could be one of the biggest acts on Thursday night at the 2023 Billboard Latin Music Awards.
At a time when regional Mexican music is reaching a global audience, Grupo Frontera joins the list of artists such as Peso Pluma, Yahritza y Su Esencia and Fuerza Regida who are not only endearing themselves to Mexican fans in the US, but they are also attracting fans among people who don’t speak or understand Spanish.
Hailing from the Rio Grande Valley of Texas, right on the southern border with Mexico, the band rose to fame with a cover song they uploaded to YouTube in 2022.
Its members are Adelaido Solis III “Payo” (fifth vocalist and bass), Julian Peña Jr. (percussionist), Carlos Frontera (drummer), Alberto Acosta (guitarist), Carlos Zamora (bass) and Juan Javier Cantu (accordionist and second voice) — started the band many years ago and mostly played at local and family events.
But it was in April 2022 that they caught the attention of the music industry. They made a habit of uploading their covers to YouTube, but it was their rendition of Colombian pop group Morat’s “No se va” that gained traction and, within a couple of months, allowed the six-piece group to gain popularity on music streaming services. platforms.
The song “Bebé Dame” then gave the group its first No. 1 hit on the Billboard Hot Latin Songs chart. “Que Vuelvas” peaked at number one on the Billboard Regional Mexican Airplay chart, number six on Billboard’s Latin Airplay chart and number one at radio.
Since then, the group has completed numerous internships and received numerous awards.
In celebration of Mexican Independence Day, the band performed at the Zocalo in Mexico City in front of more than 200,000 people.
And just last week, the group appeared on Good Morning America, performing their hit “Un x100to.”
They currently amass over 35 million monthly listeners on Spotify, and with successful collaborations with greats like Bad Bunny and Peso Pluma, the band is poised to reach new milestones.
The group recorded the song “Bebé Dame” with Fuerza Regida. It peaked at number 25 on the Billboard Hot 100.
This was followed by a collaboration with Karin Leon with the song “Que Vuelvas”.
In April, Grupo Frontera released the song “Un x100to” with Bad Bunny.
A collaboration with Serreño sensation Yahritza y Su Esencia produced the hit single “Frágil”.
Their collaboration “TULUM” with Peso Pluma reached the Billboard Hot 100 chart.
15 nominations for the 2023 Billboard Latin Music Awards.
The group will perform at the 2023 Billboard Latin Music Awards on October 5 in Miami, Florida.
While Peso Pluma tops the list of nominations, Grupo Frontera is nominated for 15 awards. Eat:
- Artist of the Year
- Artist of the Year, Debut
- Top 200 Latin Artists of the Year Worldwide
- Hot Latin Song of the Year – “Bebe Dame” with Fuerza Regida
- Hot Latin Song of the Year – “Un x100to” with Bad Bunny
- Hot Latin Song, Vocal Collaboration of the Year – “Bebe Dame” with Fuerza Regida
- “Hot Latin Song,” Vocal Collaboration of the Year – “Un x100to” with Bad Bunny
- Hot Latin Songs Magazine’s Artist of the Year, Duo or Group
- Song of the Year in Sales: “Bebe Dame” with Fuerza Regida.
- Streaming Song of the Year: “Bebe Dame” from Fuerza Regida
- Streaming Song of the Year: “Un x100to” with Bad Bunny
- Regional Mexican Artist of the Year, Duo or Group
- Regional Mexican Song of the Year: “Que Vuelvas” with Karin Leon.
- Regional Mexican Song of the Year – “Bebe Dame” with Fuerza Regida
- Regional Mexican Song of the Year – “Un x100to” with Bad Bunny