A child under the age of 2 died from a brain-eating amoeba in Nevada, USA

On July 26, in the Ash Springs community of Lincoln County, about 100 miles from Nevada, USA, a 2-year-old boy named Woodrow Bundy (Woodrow Bundy) died after contracting the infection. Caused by the amoeba Naegleria fowleri, commonly found in warm freshwater bodies such as lakes, rivers, and hot springs.

Risk of amoeba infection greatest during warmer months July, August and September.Last year another boy in Nevada Naegleria fowleri died from Lake Mead infection.

According to information provided by the authorities, Child developed flu-like symptoms before health began to deteriorate rapidly.

Can read: 11-year-old girl arrested for reporting false kidnapping to hotline

People become infected when amoeba-contaminated water enters the body through the nose, usually by swimming or immersing their head in fresh water. Then, Amoeba travels down the nose to the brain, causing swelling and destroying brain tissuea condition called primary amoebic meningoencephalitis (PAM).

97% of 157 known infections were fatal Only four people in the U.S. will survive from 1962 to 2022, according to the CDC .

The first symptoms of PAM may appear within one to 12 days, but usually, It takes about five days for the first symptoms to appear.Initial symptoms may include headache, fever, nausea or vomiting.

Also read: Man murders own two-year-old baby during prison visit

Subsequently, the infected person may experience Neck stiffness, confusion, difficulty concentrating on other people and the environment, seizures, hallucinations, and coma.

The disease usually progresses rapidly Causes death within 5 days of onset of symptoms.

Although this infection is very rare, people always They should assume that there is a risk of Naegleria fowleri infection whenever entering warm fresh water.

Source link

Leave a Comment