Mexico – Federal Council for the Protection of Health Risks (Kaufipli) warns about consumption Products called poppersand use Youth entertainment purposesbecause they are composed of substances that are considered toxic, in addition to causing addiction in those who consume them.
According to Cofepris, consumption of the substance has Popular among teenagerswhich they use as a psychoactive substance or sexual stimulant.
What is Popper?
It is a drug belonging to the nitrite family and is consumed through inhalation. This is also the most common name for these inhaled chemicals consisting of amyl nitrite, isobutyl nitrite, or butyl nitrite.
Such psychoactive substances can engage in seriously consumer health.
Expert testing found that popcorn contains amyl nitrite, isobutyl nitrite, isopropyl nitrite or butyl nitrite. These substances are toxic, irritating, highly volatile and flammable.
Likewise, Cofepris warns that poppers are sometimes taken with other drugs, such as ecstasy, methamphetamines and cocaine, as well as with medications that prolong erections or treat high blood pressure, which can put stress on the cardiovascular system . Becoming more intense and dangerous.
Cofepris pointed out through the statement that these products for recreational purposes contain highly toxic, irritating, volatile and flammable substances, and also have addictive capabilities.
Therefore, consuming poppers has different negative health effects, such as:
- Risk of overdose poisoning: Its effects are short-lived, so consumers will need higher doses.
- Adverse reactions: dizziness, vomiting, respiratory tract irritation, dyspnea, chronic cough, bronchitis, lipoid pneumonia.
- Eye damage: Injury, visual impairment, blindness.
- Peripheral Nerve Effects: This can lead to muscle weakness, numbness, and difficulty with movement coordination.
- Damage to the cardiovascular system: It can cause a drop in blood pressure, tachycardia, arrhythmias, ventricular fibrillation and increase the risk of heart attack.