Tegucigalpa Honduras – Nearly two weeks of uncertainty over little girl’s death Karen Smith Lopez12 months old, died under the protection of La La D.Report from the Directorate for Children, Youth and Families (Dinaf) forensic science He noted that Public Affairs Ministry spokesman Elvis Guzman confirmed that the infant’s death was not caused by sexual abuse.
Likewise, the spokesman assured that the investigation is now focused on determining whether there has been a crime of abuse of power or even a breach of official duties.
“Once the sexual abuse of the little girl has been ruled out, the investigation is now focused on identifying possible crimes of abuse of power, dereliction of duty and violation of official duties,” Guzman declared.
He also said the Ministry of Public Affairs would be responsible for knowing all the protocols applicable to Dinaf as well as Casa Hogar, known as Nutre Hogar, where little Keren was cared for.
Based on this, the authorities tried to find out whether regular visits were indeed being made to understand the minor’s state of health and to rule out negligence.
Guzman revealed that so far, they have the statements of government agencies and the staff of Hogar House on the case.
The Public Ministry has pledged to file tax claims against those involved in the tragic death of a one-year-old baby if abuse of power and criminal negligence are determined.
It should be remembered that the horrific incident occurred last Saturday, July 22, when his mother wept outside the public sector morgue in San Pedro Sula, demanding that her child, Karen Lopez ( Keren López, who was separated from her child three months after her parents warned her for showing signs of malnutrition.
Malnutrition-induced ‘systemic sepsis’ of one baby’s death, says director of Deneuve hospital
Director of Denaf, Lizzie Coello, Explaining that little Karen “entered Mario Catarino Rivas Hospital on April 12, was diagnosed with severe protein-caloric malnutrition and was therefore in a very difficult condition, and she was released but remains in a fragile condition.”
He added that the Dinaf staff “received the girl even in her fragile condition and took her to a private center that has been dedicated to receiving, treating and rehabilitating malnourished children for 20 years.”
Coelo, on the other hand, emphasized that the nursing room, cribs and other places where the children were located were within the permanent view of the staff, but were separated by transparent windows, which ruled out the possibility of sexual abuse. sex.
“Despite care, the girl developed severe pneumonia, was taken to the emergency room, and was again admitted to Mario Catarino Rivas Hospital on July 15 with sepsis,” the official said.
“According to what is documented in the file, it was due to systemic sepsis, which was the result of pneumonia, and malnutrition, which in turn was the result of malnutrition, which lowered the girl’s overall immune status,” Coello revealed. Take her to the intensive care unit.”
Denaf has had the baby since April, but because of her complicated malnutrition, the company sent her to Nutre Hogar, an allied institution dedicated to treating malnourished children, like Karen same situation.
However, according to the opinion of the forensic doctor, the possibility of minors being sexually abused has been ruled out, and the investigation of the Ministry of Public Affairs will now take another route, investigating possible negligence and abuse of power.
Digital reporter for The Herald since 2022. Breaking news editor. Experience with fact checking and profiles. Love critical and educational journalism and the use of new technologies. Graduated from UNAH Journalism Department.