SSO reports 865 COPD cases in this entity (Oaxaca, Mexico)

• 70% of diagnoses are caused by inhalation of tobacco smoke and solid fuels such as firewood or coal.
Oaxaca City, Oaxaca, November 14, 2023. – The Oaxaca State Health Service (SSO) reports that as of September this year, 865 cases of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) have been registered, with women aged 20 to 59 most affected, those aged 60 and Men above.

He highlighted that 70% of COPD cases are caused by inhalation of tobacco smoke and solid fuels such as firewood or coal in the kitchen, which can reduce air circulation and lead to a respiratory condition called emphysema or chronic bronchitis System problems.

He explained that this pathology causes a cough with phlegm, difficulty breathing, wheezing and fatigue that can damage or block the lungs and can be fatal if not diagnosed promptly.

In the framework of World Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease Day, which is commemorated on the third Wednesday of November, the SSO urges people to avoid risk factors that gradually develop in this condition, such as smoking or exposure to cigarette smoke, wood smoke, faeces, crop residues , charcoal for cooking and heating, and prolonged exposure to contaminants such as dust or chemicals.

He warned that people with the disease are at higher risk for other health problems, such as lung infections, flu or pneumonia, lung cancer, heart disease, muscle weakness, osteoporosis, depression, anxiety and more.

He emphasized that to control COPD, it is important to quit smoking, engage in physical activity, receive influenza and pneumococcal vaccinations, pulmonary rehabilitation and medication.

It should be noted that women in Oaxaca are frequently exposed to wood smoke when cooking at home, a potential factor for lung disease.

In this sense, the SSO recommends alternatives such as eco-stoves, which are low-cost, make better use of firewood and prevent the spread of harmful smoke indoors. Also maintain constant ventilation in the kitchen and do not introduce stoves into the home as they can cause such illnesses or fatal accidents.

If symptoms occur, it is necessary for people to go to the nearest health unit for prompt treatment to improve quality of life.


Source link

Leave a Comment