Water is a precious resource that provides several important benefits to humans beyond hydration. For example, it is important in medicine, skin care and rehabilitation.
Water has been a basic resource for human medicine since ancient times. It is found in preparations made by ancient healers or shamans and continues to be applied in different treatments today.
Currently, it goes through various processes:
- distilled water: A substance composed of H2O, which undergoes a distillation and purification process in which impurities and source ions are eliminated. It is used for hydration, body cleansing, solution preparation, medical equipment maintenance, and more.
- hydrogen peroxide: A compound used as an antibacterial agent and an oxidizing agent. Its main function is to clean and disinfect, making it ideal for treating wounds. In personal care products such as dyes and toothpaste, it has whitening and brightening properties.
- Boric acid: A solution of boric acid and water that has antiseptic and antibacterial properties and is often used to treat boils, conjunctivitis, or other eye ailments.
- orange blossom water: Made with flower petals, very beneficial for cleansing and regeneration of organs, moisturizing, pain relief, against dizziness and fainting.
- rose water: Made with flower petals with anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties to heal skin.
In addition to hydrating the body, water is necessary to maintain healthy skin. Some benefits are:
- provide flexibility: In the innermost layer of the dermis, there is a reservoir that provides consistency and allows metabolic exchange. When dehydrated, the body depletes these reserves, resulting in dehydrated skin with an opaque appearance and lack of complexion.
- Calms irritation and other skin disorders: Water has calming effect to help rejuvenate skin after hottest days or sun exposure. When it’s hot, it’s capable of producing a calming sensation. It can be used as a spray to relieve irritation if used at a temperature similar to body temperature (between 34 and 36°C).
- improve appearance: Dust and atmospheric substances are deposited on the skin every day and cause damage to the skin. Plus, dead cells and makeup residue can clog pores, making them unable to breathe. That is why all these residues must be removed with water in order to maintain its health and beauty.
- tone: The smoothness of the skin depends on its moisture content. However, this depends not only on the fluid we ingest, but also on the structure of the epidermis that prevents it from evaporating. Therefore, it is imperative for each individual to analyze their body and ensure proper hydration.
Hydrotherapy, or hydrotherapy, has been proven for centuries to be one of the most effective healing treatments. Equipment used includes whirlpool tubs, dual temperature showers and pressure jets.
It is a unique medium for these processes due to its physical properties: buoyancy (reduction of body weight related to degree of immersion, allowing patient and therapist to control pressure on joints), viscosity (moving in water is like lifting “fluid weights”) , allowing muscles to be strengthened in a functional/upright posture) as well as hydrostatic and hydrodynamic pressure.
The goals of these treatments are to maintain or improve balance, coordination, agility, aerobic capacity, gait, movement, body mechanics, and postural stability. They are also great for muscular strength, power and endurance as well as breathing strategies, therapeutic exercises and functional training.
Additionally, hot water improves muscle relaxation, increases peripheral circulation, and helps stimulate body awareness, balance, and core stability.
Water is a precious resource that gives us life, takes care of us and helps us heal when we are in trouble. Therefore, we must use it responsibly and with care.
Discover more tips on hydration and drinking on the social networks of Aguas Cordobesas! : Facebook- Instagram- Twitter