In the market we found canned preserves tuna Naturally, in sunflower or olive oil. The healthiest options are natural and we can benefit from their important nutritional properties: Omega-3.
It’s an essential fatty acid that strengthens neurons, keeps your heart healthy, and prevents strokes, among other things. It is also rich in B vitamins.
According to experts, Omega 3 should be one of the representatives Eat 5% and 10% of total calories throughout the day. In addition to tuna, it is also found in salmon, mackerel, trout and sardines.
Canned tuna is one of the most consumed ultra-processed foods in our country.
One of the reasons why it is the king of Spanish kitchens is its price (about 10 euros/kg) and the simplicity of preparing dishes. Not only suitable for salads and pastas, but also for sandwiches, croquettes and other more sophisticated dishes such as tuna tartare.
However, if the container is not stored properly, it can have an impact on our health once opened.This is what pediatricians warn Ennis Mena Davila, Lorena Sanchez and Maria Valls By the Spanish Pediatric Association.
As they explain, two 9-year-old twins came to a pediatric consultation after “sudden onset of an erythematous rash (pink, flaky skin) and very itching (itching) affecting the entire body, with bilateral conjunctival injection (conjunctivitis) )”.
Mothers with similar symptoms noted that they did not have fever or gastrointestinal or respiratory symptoms.
However, the parent mentioned that an hour before the onset of symptoms, they ate a tuna fish sandwich from a can that had been open in the refrigerator for several days.
According to experts, the diagnosis has been made clear.Their effect is scombroid disease.
What is scombroid disease and how is it treated?
This is one of the most common cases of food poisoning, caused by eating blue fishsuch as tuna, sardines, anchovies or swordfish.
This may also occur after eating Swiss cheese, which is similar to Emmental cheese and is yellow in color and is usually made from cow’s milk.
As a pediatrician points out:
“this Poor heat dissipation The temperature of the fish (temperatures above 4 °C) can lead to bacterial overgrowth (most commonly E. coli). This facilitates the conversion of histidine present in fish tissues into histamine through the action of the bacterial enzyme histidine decarboxylase. ”
Symptoms usually appear one hour after eating spoiled food and may be:
Very similar to gastroenteritis.
For less common cases, they are:
- hypotension (Blood pressure below average: 90/60 mmHg and 120/80 mmHg)
- Bronchospasm (Temporary obstruction of bronchial tubes)
- Arrhythmia, This could be tachycardia (heartbeat too fast) or bradycardia (heartbeat very slow).
As they point out, this reaction should not be confused with an allergy to fish, because although skin lesions such as pruritus (itching), which are typical of allergies, can also occur, this is a reaction caused by improper storage.
The main treatment is oral antihistamines.
If symptoms are very severe, fluid therapy (to treat dehydration caused by vomiting) and vasopressors (to indicate increased blood pressure) are given.
How to store cans in the refrigerator?
To avoid food poisoning from mackerel, the most important thing is to refrigerate the fish correctly. If we open a can and do not intend to consume the entire contents in one day, we must take a series of precautions.
- Store below 4°C. It’s best to place it in the coldest area of the refrigerator, near the freezer. Therefore, it can be maintained at temperatures close to 0°C.
- Do not store in can. Air must be avoided, so it is recommended to transfer all contents to airtight containers.
- Eat as soon as possible and within a maximum of two days.