Woman’s limbs amputated after eating infected tilapia

After eating a steak TilapiaA 40-year-old woman from California, USA, was hospitalized due to a severe bacterial infection that resulted in the amputation of all four limbs.

According to Anna Messina’s statement to international media, people close to the victim, Laura B, developed strange symptoms after eating the next day. Tilapia contaminated by bacteria Vibrio vulnificus Common in raw seafood and seawater, Telediario details.

Due to the severity of the infection, Laura was hospitalized in an induced coma for over a month and she suffered from full sepsis and required emergency surgery as the bacteria had affected a large part of her kidneys.

According to mediotiempo, data from the Florida Department of Health shows that as of 2023, five people have died from this bacteria.

(Photo: Canva)

How are bacteria spread? Vibrio vulnificus?

bacteria bacteria Vibrio vulnificus They are Gram-negative bacteria found in warm, salty marine environments, such as saltwater and brackish water. More than 20 species of Vibrio species can cause vibriosis in humans.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) details that an estimated 80,000 cases of vibriosis, 500 hospitalizations, and 100 deaths occur each year in the United States, most of which are not culture-confirmed.

It should be noted that a variant of Vibrio can also infect humans through wounds, not just infected food. This condition occurs when the wound comes into contact with raw or undercooked fish or shellfish or the salt or salt water they contain.

When bacteria enter the body, three possible scenarios can occur: sepsis, which causes the immune system to lose control; gastroenteritis, which manifests as abdominal pain; and infection or a wound.

which are symptom?

some of his other symptom Clinical trials include:

  • Watery diarrhea with abdominal cramping
  • nausea
  • Vomit
  • fever
  • concussion
  • Wound or soft tissue infection
(Photo: Canva)

In people with liver-related disease, the bacteria can cause blood infections, fever, chills, low blood pressure, skin blisters and, in severe cases, death, the CDC said.

(Information from CDC, Telediario, Mediotiempo).

Source link

Leave a Comment