Wyoming outbreak traced to raw milk

The Wyoming Department of Health confirmed that two children were hospitalized after drinking raw milk in September.

Five people, including one adult and four children, became ill after drinking raw, unpasteurized milk purchased through Slow Food supermarkets in the Tetons online marketplace. The patient was infected with Campylobacter and E. coli. The patients live in Teton and Lincoln counties, according to the health department.

State investigators traced the illnesses to the consumption of raw milk or raw milk products. However, the official did not disclose the identity of the specific seller.

In a press release, Slow Food Grand Teton executive director Scott Steen said the nonprofit decided to stop sales of products from the vendors involved after learning of the illnesses. He asked consumers who still have the products in their homes not to use them.

Kim Deti, public information officer for the Wyoming Department of Health, said the department sent an email survey about raw milk consumption to 61 households over the weekend, but only about a third of the respondents responded.

Consumers can call Matthew Peterson at the Wyoming Department of Public Health at 307-777-7007 or 307-214-9841 to ask questions or report illnesses they believe may be related to raw milk and other raw milk products.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the Food and Drug Administration and most state and local health officials say unpasteurized dairy is dangerous. Raw dairy products often contain bacteria and viruses, including salmonella, campylobacter, E. coli, listeria and hepatitis A.

(To sign up for a free subscription to Food Safety News,Click here)

Source link

Leave a Comment