this shaver They are bivalve molluscs found in oceans and saltwater. They are characterized by having an elongated rectangular shell with a shell length between 10 and 20 cm, depending on the species. These little treasures of the sea are highly valued in gastronomy, especially in coastal areas, where they are a traditional delicacy in seafood dishes.
If you’ve never eaten this mollusk, you should know that it’s not only a taste delight, but it also offers many health benefits. We tell you some of them:
- Rich in protein. Shavers are an excellent source of proteins with high biological value, helping to enhance muscle and tissue regeneration.
- Minerals. They are an important source of iron, zinc, iodine, selenium and phosphorus. These minerals are essential for the proper functioning of the body, helping to strengthen the immune system, red blood cell formation, bone health, and more.
- vitamins. Shavers contain B vitamins, especially B12, which are essential for the nervous system and energy production.
Omega-3 fatty acids. These fatty acids are known for their anti-inflammatory properties and helping to prevent cardiovascular disease.
How to clean razor clams before cooking them
If you decide to include razor clams in your diet, you must know how to clean them properly so you can enjoy their taste without risk. Here are some tips:
- Choose fresh razor clams. When it comes to seafood, freshness is crucial. Make sure the case is closed or tap it shut. If they remain open, the mollusk is likely dead and unsafe to eat.
- Degrease your razor. One of the main disadvantages of eating razor clams is that they may contain sand inside. To get rid of it, put the razor clams in a container with salted water (one tablespoon of salt per liter of water) and let it sit for 2 to 3 hours. Therefore, the blade will expel the sand. Change the water several times during this process.
- Clean the shells. Brush the shells with a soft-bristle brush to remove external impurities. Do it under cold water.
- Open the knife. If you decide to cook razor clams naturally, you must open them carefully. Insert the tip of the knife between the two shells and twist gently until they open. Carefully remove the molluscs and remove any grit fragments or visible impurities.
- Protect. If you do not plan to cook the razor clams immediately after cleaning, store them in a covered but not airtight container, covered with a damp cloth, in the refrigerator. This way they stay fresh for a few days.
Shavers are a delicacy of the sea that, in addition to pleasing our palates, provide us with numerous health benefits. However, it is crucial to know the tips and tricks for cleaning them properly and ensuring proper preparation. By following these steps, you will be able to enjoy this delicious treat without any worries and with all the safety required for its consumption. enjoy!